Skip to main content

PBH1104: Global Health

Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences

Global Health

Check the Handbook for the latest unit information.


In this unit, we ask you to think about the vast and growing inequities in health that exist across the world and the challenges for people living in developing countries. We explore their underlying causes including: globalisation, transnational trade, tourism, rapid development, social and political transitions, climate change, violence and insecurity. Using research reports and field experience from practical projects, we examine the wider context for working in international settings as well as the issues faced by Indigenous peoples, migrants and refugees. We explore our responsibilities as 'global citizens' and we challenge you to think about ways you could make a difference.


1 - Group oral presentation (5 mins per person & written critique per person of 2 other groups-300 word) - 20% 2 - Online tasks (10 x open book MCQ quizzes) (2% x 10, Total=20%) - 20% 3 - ISAP case (1,200 words - 15% + 600 word reflection - 10%) (Total 25%) - 25% 4 - Assignment (2,100 words) - 35%


2 hour tutorial, 3 hours of directed online student learning activities, plus 7 hours of self-directed study per week.

Global challenges

Our Strategic Plan, Impact 2030, charts the path for how Monash will actively respond to climate change, preserving geopolitical security and fostering thriving communities over the next decade. Read more

This unit covers content related to the following Global Challenges:

Climate Change, Thriving Communities

Sustainable development goals

Adopted by the UN Member States in 2015, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), are an urgent call for action by all countries - developed and developing - in a global partnership. Read more

This unit covers content related to the following SDGs:

3. Good Health and Well-Being 8. Decent Work and Economic Growth 10. Reduced Inequalities 13. Climate Action 16. Peace Justice and Strong Institutions